As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Sparring and Smoozing... Wednesday, May 4

I got treated like a sandbag by two guys today and treated like royalty by another.  It was just that kind of day and it was fabulous.

Let me explain...

In the afternoon I had boxing and Coach Perez told me to step into the ring for a bit of sparring.  I sparred with two different opponents, the second of which sent me dropping to the canvas on my knees like a sack of potatoes.  I took a mean body shot to the right from and it hurt like a mofo but I had to give him props for the accuracy and impact of it.  He had caught me on a bad habit -- I keep myself too open, my elbows too out and away from my body.  It was a hard lesson kind of day at boxing but that's them breaks apparently. 

In the evening I had be asked on an earlier date to accompany a friend to a formal dinner party.  He needed a date and I needed food.  Just joking.  He did need a date though so he told me to get dolled up and he'd pick me up.  When he showed up to get me, I greeted him outside and was so shocked at just how handsome he looked.  He sported a three piece suit that included a gorgeous brown velvet jacket and a classy bow tie.  He looked like an old school gentleman and instantly at the sight of him I felt so under dressed.  Regardless, a beautiful evening out was very much the anticipation so we headed towards where the dinner was being held -- the R.O.M. (Royal Ontario Museum).  I can't remember the last time I was ever there, probably high school or maybe even elementary school.  The place was decked out, glammed up, and it looked nothing like the old, boring museum I had remember.  The place looked gorgeous.  The event was a members-only event in which they were giving recognition to particular volunteers and it was a black tie event so everyone looked their best.  I didn't know anyone but my date but he was quick to I introduce me to those he knew and others were quick to chat it up with me and compliment me on my hair and dress.  I felt like a fish out of water in a dress that clung to my body like plastic wrap and loosely hung off one shoulder as if it were on the verge of dropping off entirely.  A glass of wine later and I was owning that dress and comfortable smoozing with the crowd. 

It had been a rough day at the boxing club, a beautiful night at the R.O.M., but I enjoyed them both.

No comments: