As the story has it, I woke up and found myself on the very opposite side of the globe – the flipside. I arrived February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d simply do a year, then leave. Years later and I’m still here. I went from being some random foreign girl to taking on labels I never imagined – university professor, film extra, professional boxer, CEO of my own girls-only fitness company, Flipside Fitness, and CEO of my own boxing club, Korea's largest -- Hulk's Club, formerly known as Hulk's Boxing.

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I picked up one day and left. I returned to Toronto, Canada but only to pack up my bags and venture out again. Now I'm living in Makati, Philippines. Life for me is better in Asia and I'm so happy here. This isn't a new chapter in the book of my life though, it's a whole new book I've started!!! I'm a whole new woman. I left Korea with Flipside Fitness on my brain, Hulk's in my heart, boxing in my bag, and my four-legged friend Balboa Button by my side.

Life is an adventure and this is my story of yesterday.

Wednesday, May 04, 2016

Sparring and Smoozing... Wednesday, May 4

I got treated like a sandbag by two guys today and treated like royalty by another.  It was just that kind of day and it was fabulous.

Let me explain...

In the afternoon I had boxing and Coach Perez told me to step into the ring for a bit of sparring.  I sparred with two different opponents, the second of which sent me dropping to the canvas on my knees like a sack of potatoes.  I took a mean body shot to the right from and it hurt like a mofo but I had to give him props for the accuracy and impact of it.  He had caught me on a bad habit -- I keep myself too open, my elbows too out and away from my body.  It was a hard lesson kind of day at boxing but that's them breaks apparently. 

In the evening I had be asked on an earlier date to accompany a friend to a formal dinner party.  He needed a date and I needed food.  Just joking.  He did need a date though so he told me to get dolled up and he'd pick me up.  When he showed up to get me, I greeted him outside and was so shocked at just how handsome he looked.  He sported a three piece suit that included a gorgeous brown velvet jacket and a classy bow tie.  He looked like an old school gentleman and instantly at the sight of him I felt so under dressed.  Regardless, a beautiful evening out was very much the anticipation so we headed towards where the dinner was being held -- the R.O.M. (Royal Ontario Museum).  I can't remember the last time I was ever there, probably high school or maybe even elementary school.  The place was decked out, glammed up, and it looked nothing like the old, boring museum I had remember.  The place looked gorgeous.  The event was a members-only event in which they were giving recognition to particular volunteers and it was a black tie event so everyone looked their best.  I didn't know anyone but my date but he was quick to I introduce me to those he knew and others were quick to chat it up with me and compliment me on my hair and dress.  I felt like a fish out of water in a dress that clung to my body like plastic wrap and loosely hung off one shoulder as if it were on the verge of dropping off entirely.  A glass of wine later and I was owning that dress and comfortable smoozing with the crowd. 

It had been a rough day at the boxing club, a beautiful night at the R.O.M., but I enjoyed them both.

No comments: