As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, July 18, 2016

Training From Dawn to Dusk

No sooner did I return from coaching my first boot camp and end my morning meeting but my phone buzzed.  Got a text message from a gal I trained today, love it!
Arrived at the pool and the life guard was busy written a response to a complaint letter he found on the ground today when he was cleaning up.
Part of staying afloat as a starving athlete is finding odd jobs to make ends meet so today a random job of mine that I took on was writing up a more professional response letter.

The letter he had received was definitely written out of the heat of the moment, it was loaded with immaturity, and he responded with a bit of immaturity too so I wrote one a decent, professional one for him and now it's up on the pool gate for all to read.
Text messages with my coach today... I miss training with him!  
It feels weird to have not seen him for so long.
At team training tonight, Clancy's Boxing, I got asked if I always wear a sweater and toque when boxing. Yes, I do.  And when I train with Coach Perez at Hardknocks we often crank up the heat.
Sparring partner practice tonight meant stepping into the ring with this young gal.  I'm twice her age and when we realized this we giggled so much... and continued jabbing each other.  Props to all those who came out to training tonight.  Always a wicked crew.

No comments: