As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Cabbagetown Craziness and One Not-Nice Subway Man


My roommate messaged me while I was training, telling me to be careful when I came home because she thinks she heard gun shots.  I returned home safe and sound, then searched out some answers.  A gun shot was heard at the time she had noted but not exactly in Cabbagetown but I did find out something else that went down earlier today.  Oh gosh. 
Was told on the subway by some random middle aged man that I "looked too muscular for a girl".  "That's because I'm a woman, not a girl", I told him.  "And the men I like like women, not girls".  I could have and should have stopped there but all eyes were on me so I added "I workout, don't hate.  I don't hate because you don't workout."  And on that note so many people in the subway went "ohhhhh" and I got instant crowd props.
Yes, my body is an amazing machine.  It's still very much a work in progress
but every day I'm working at bettering it and I sure as hell am not going to let some overweight, miserable middle aged man tell me that my body is less than amazing.

No comments: