As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, August 06, 2016

Impressed and Not Impressed on My Bday... Saturday, August 6

I'm not one of those girls you can just wing it with, make no plans for, and hope for the best that I'm impressed.  I like plans.  If I make plans to spend time with you than I want you to have a plan on what we're going to do.  I like attention to details too and I like going to little hidden-down-the-side-street spots.  One of a kind places you have to search out and don't just stumble upon unless you by fluke happen to be at the right place at the right moment. Today I anticipated being impressed.  I was and I wasn't.

Last night as I left the club a certain someone, Plan B, realized that my birthday party was that night as oppose to on my actual birth date.  He blazed it home, grabbed a jacket and then jumped on his motorcycle to come search me out.  I had just left the club though when he arrived so he continued his search for me.  Shortly after I arrived at my house he did too.  He showed up on his two wheels, dressed for a party, looking kind of stressed, and appologetic that he had missed it. 

That impressed me.

Today he showed up again and took me for a late breakfast after my other plans flopped.  Not so impressed by the fact he knew nothing about picking a good breakfast place to dine at but none the less he scored brownie points for fitting me in his busy schedule.  I appreciated that.

It's weird celebrating my birthday here in Canada, and other holidays too for that matter.  They always get overly hyped in my head, as if I have years to make up for and thus must celebrate them big because of all the years they got ignored in Korea.  This means I'm always setting myself up for disappointment though, consequently, because no holiday can ever live up to the hype in my head.

The extent of Snickers wishing me a happy birthday was to call me "the birthday girl" in a text message on Facebook.  You know, he's not even my friend on Facebook.  Not too sure when that happened but whatever.  He asked me today when I'm coming back to Korea and I responded by telling him that I don't know.  Fact of the matter is I didn't want to be asked that on my birthday.  I didn't expect him to even remember my birthday.

Plans with Foo Man Choo were postponed and so I called them off entirely.  I don't want to sound spoiled and say that it is my birthday but I had hyped it up and told him I'd spend most of my day with him.  So to hear him so easily tell me he's going to be hours late didn't impress me so I called it all off.

He showed up out of town regardless, that impressed me. 

Not so impressed with his lack of effort on what to do with me though.

After Foo Man Choo birthday "plans", I arrived at home with still a good chunk of my birthday left over so when Captain Bowtie asked me if I wanted to watch a movie I was game for that. 

He showed up with a birthday muffin he then lit up and sang Happy Birthday to me with, that impressed me.

Not so impressed with the movie we chose to watch though... hahaha.  I think I'm more to blame than him actually for that one.

No comments: