As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, August 07, 2016

Making My Address Public... Sunday, August 7

As my dad drove away I realized something.  

I never got a birthday card on my birthday.

I know it may sound like a silly thing to get upset about but I'm rather big into cards and letters.  My mom used to be the one to manage the card-giving process at holiday time.  She'd go pick out the cards, write an inscription and then get us all to sign it and add a blurb before she then would send it off.  But my mom's not here anymore and so my family no longer sends cards like we used to.  I still send cards.  I'm more about cards now that my mom isn't here to send them.  Perhaps I'm big into them because of her.  I keep all my cards but today I realized that I didn't get a birthday card.  

My family doesn't do a lot of things like it used to when my mom was still here.

I ended up posting my exact apartment address online, on Facebook, for all my friends, family and fans to see it.  Ginger Spice messaged me right away upon seeing that I had posted it and she urged me to reconsider, saying that it was a definite no-no.  Honestly though, I really didn't care who saw my address.  I'm so easy to track down, seriously.  It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure out where I am at what time of the day.  Sure I have random business meetings and my training times vary somewhat but most days I'm either at training or at home.  I'm as "Googleable" as I am "trackable".  More overly though. I've been getting weird stuff mailed to me at my boxing club and parents' home so at least this way such things are kept private.  There's no middle man seeing what mail gets mailed to me so there's no uncomfortable conversations about questionable fans or whatnot.  

So yes, I posted my address online and commented about not getting a birthday card because I was more sad about not getting a single card than I was nervous about who'd seen my address.  Now to see if anyone actually sends me a birthday card.  Perhaps this may be the start of some very cool back and forth snail mail fun!!!

No comments: