As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016

New Coach On Duty... Tuesday, August 30

I'm the new coach on duty, Coach Amy.

I signed in today for my first day of training/work and it went really well.  I just started a new part time job at a female-only fitness gym downtown and though it's only part time for now the room for advancement and more hours is definitely there and definitely within grasp.  Word of me being a professional boxer quickly spread and soon enough I was being approached by some of the clients, them asking me to coach them a bit in boxing. 

"Sure", I responded.  "Next time I'll bring my boxing gear; you're going to fall in love with boxing!"

I was only scheduled to be there today from 4-8pm but I think it's safe to say in that limited span of four hours I had made a good impression on those ladies who had come to train and had sold myself to my boss as being a smart addition to his team. 

I'm loving the fact that this particular gym is a female-only fitness facility, that's basically the sole reason why I even applied for the gig.  I'm rather over training guys because of all the politics and social complications that come with training them.  There's always going to be that one guy who thinks he can hit on you or is only there because of other females he thinks he can hook up with.  I'm there to work -- to train members and to train them hard.  And training an all-female crew means not only does it limit and cut down the social distractions and complications but it also means I can relate better with those whom I train.  It's a very positive setup, both incredibly beneficial for both parties connected -- those being trained and me as their coach -- so it's one that I'm definitely into. 

No comments: