As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, August 01, 2016

Surprising Responses... Monday, August 1

With this upcoming Saturday marking my one year here in Canada,  I've been debating a lot lately whether or not to return to Korea.  It seems like everyone has their own opinion on my situation but the truth of the matter is it's my decision -- my life, my choice.   Today I voiced my stress regarding the situation to several people in my life and their responses were all very different.

I was sitting out looking at the lake when I turned and said "why would I stay here in Canada, I have nothing here." He turned and said "you have me". I wasn't expecting that answer.

In Canada I have pleasure, in Korea I have business, maybe the two can never meet.  Maybe you can't really have both in such extremes that I've been blessed to have.   I have all my friends, safety and happiness here in Canada but in Korea I had a very successful career.

No sooner had I unloaded my stress about Korea to other person but then he looked at me and said "Korea is like the fake Asian.  Like a pear that thinks it's an apple but it's not. " Probably both the funniest and most messed up thing I've ever heard about Korea...and I've heard a lot!

No comments: