As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 11, 2016

Balboa's Growing Up and Getting Better... Friday, November 11

Canada is so incredibly dog-friendly. I don't think many Canadians really understand that or know that. In Korea I would never let my dog socialize with another person's dog let alone let someone come up to one of my dogs to pet them without my consent. 

But I live in Canada now -- different country, different social norms.

Balboa is quite the social butterfly, I'm not going to lie. I think almost everyone in my building either knows his name or knows of him, and I'm pretty sure half of my neighbours on my floor have picked up a bit of Korean because of me taking him out for walks all the time. I only speak Korean to Balboa and my neighbours are well aware of this so many of them have picked up on set Korean commands I've taught him or are in the process of teaching him. I personally think it's hilarious.

I want to become that kind of dog-owner that takes my four-legged friend every where. I didn't think it was really possible but the other week I took him to the Eaton Centre and it seemed so acceptable for me to do so. People on the subway loved him, he got asked about by numerous random people, and in the mall he stuck right by my side. Balboa wears a shirt that reads "Good dog gone bad" but honestly he's more like a bad dog gone good. He was rather wild in Korea. He never listened and trying to teach him commands was close to impossible because you'd have to run around trying to catch him before you could even begin to teach him. But here in Canada, here he is so different. 

Tonight I took him to the boxing club, to Clancy's, and he was so good. He followed me around the club, like a shadow, and then he sat on Skittle's lap when I was training Team Blue. Before and after me coaching, I let him mingle with my fighters and the other boxers, and he let them pet him. He was so good.

Yup, Balboa is pretty awesome.

No comments: