As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 04, 2016

The Injury List... Friday, November 4

I'm unofficially on the injured list.  I wrote "unofficial" because I'm keeping this rather hush-hush from my sponsors and sporting a sweater so that no one can see my taped-up injury.  I just voiced that I wanted a fight and now I may be injured... perfect.  Hey, if I can go into a fight with a fractured nose than the injury I'm sporting now shouldn't be a problem at all.

I was told I may have a bicep tendon tear so I Goggled it.  Forget Goggling guys I once dated for a millisecond, this is serious.

According the internet, because you know it's the smartest thing out there (note the sarcasm), a bicep tendon tear can result from over straining your bicep muscle, like lifting too heavy, or if your elbow is forced straight against resistance.  You can strain your muscle and tendons trying to keep your arm bent but, because the weight is too heavy, your arm is forced straight thus the tendon then starts to tear away from the bone.

I don't remember lifting anything too heavy that I couldn't handle, I mean I weight train but I know my weights and what I can and cannot handle.  I think I injured my arm doing padwork, possibly.  I can't say for certain but it does sound like the most likely possibility.  All I do know is though that when I went to go lift my bag up from the floor at System and go to put the strap on my shoulder, bending my arm with that weight was extremely painful.  It was like being punched in the arm, getting a Charlie Horse in my bicep.  I yelled out a bit and then dropped the bag.  The same thing happened when I went to grab the same bag from the truck of the car at Clancy's.  And don't even get me started about how incredibly painful it was when I tried to take my sports bra off.  It was obvious at that point it wasn't so much the weight that was the issue but instead the movement of my arm and the bending of my arm, use of my elbow.  

Goggled what to do next and this is what popped up...

METHOD 1: Treating minor muscle injuries.
1. Rest the muscle, no longer than 2 weeks.
2. Ice the area.
3. Compress the muscle.
4. Elevate the injured limb.
5. Avoid H.A.R.M. – heat, alcohol, running and massage.
METHOD 2 : Reducing pain with medicine.
1. Take acetaminophen, like ibuprofen, for the first two days.
2. Ask your doctor about prescription pain-relief creams.
3. Request a prescription pain-reliever for severe pain.
METHOD 3: Getting medical attention.
1. Get a diagnosis.
2. Ask about physical therapy.
3. See a doctor to rule out other conditions.
4. Seek medical attention for a third degree tear.
5. Discuss surgical treatment options for ruptures and tears.
6. Follow up with your physician.

At Clancy's tonight I happened to be there at the exact time the club's in-house physio therapist was there so that was perfect.  I got her to look at my arm and address the situation.  Together we came up with our own method -- Method 4 -- of dealing with my injury.

METHOD 4: Amy’s way of merging the 3 different methods.
1. Get a diagnosis from a physio therapist.
2. Apply pain-relief cream.
3. Get taping done on my arm.
4. Buy an acetaminophen – ibuprofen.
5. Give it a few days and then report back to the physio therapist.

No comments: