As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

My Clients Rock... Tuesday, January 17

Upon arriving at home after personal training, I received a phone call.  It was on of my clients whom I had just trained.  At first glance, seeing her name pop up on my phone, I have assumed the worst.  I figured something was wrong.  I've been training her for several of months now and she's an awesome client.  I know I push her hard but she trains hard.  Maybe something is up, maybe something happened.  Maybe she's having an issue with the fact that I'm leaving for the Philippines.

I hesitantly picked up the phone and answered her call.

It totally wasn't the call I was anticipating.  She apologized for some minor complaining that had occurred during today's training and I reassured her I wasn't discouraged or insulted in any way.  I know losing weight, getting fit and staying healthy is hard, every day I'm working at it too.  It's as much of a physical challenge as it is a mental and emotional one.  I had given a challenging exercise today, one that had put them out of their comfort zone and they simply had voiced it.  They told me it "didn't feel comfortable" and that was the trigger for me.  "Boxing wasn't comfortable for you when you first started either but look at you, now you're switching it up from Orthadox to South Paw, throwing your jabs and cross jabs", I had told them.  Nothing happens in your comfort zone.  Someone once told me that "comfort is a nice paved path but no flowers grow on it."  I love that quite.  The "magic" happens when you step out of your comfort zone and this is applicable with regards to anything in life, not just training and losing weight.  

I push my clients, I push my ladies, I know I do, but that's what they're paying me to do and that's what it's going to take to change them.  I'm challenging them to change them.

The irony of the whole situation that went down today at the gym, the complaining, was the fact that I was approached by a random man who asked me if I was a trainer.  I told him I was a professional boxer, licensed boxing coach, and then one of my two clients I was training walked up and blurted out "Ya, and she's awesome!"  My clients are pretty awesome, I definitely believe that, and no random complaint is going to make me think else what.  Training is hard.  Losing weight is hard.  Staying healthy is hard.  It's all hard but when you have the drive, the dedication and the direction, it's definitely attainable.  Sure, it's uncomfortable but not loving your body and not being healthy is a lot more uncomfortable.  

My phone conversation with my client ended with her saying thank you for all my efforts and noting some physical changes she's noticed with her own body.  She then said she'd see me later this week for more training and told me she respects and loves me.  

It was an unexpected phone call but it totally made my entire week and it reassured me why I do what I do.  I love being that pro boxer in the ring, sweating it out at training, but I also love, love, LOVE being that coach pushing their clients through training.  I never fail to have awesome clients but they're killing my tough boxer girl image, telling me super sweet stuff like this... Hahaha.

No comments: