As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, March 16, 2017

A Familar Face in the Philippines... Thursday, March 16

Today was suppose to be a slower day; a kind of "recovery day" for all the pain and suffering my body got pushed through at training the day before.  For training, I did fasted cardio in the morning, which meant treadmill at Fitness First, and then I had weight training later in the evening.

Today's focus was a meeting -- I was meeting up with a friend I know from Korea but who has since moved back home, home as in the Philippines.  He's in the Philippines and I'm in the Philippines but the chances of him being any where close to my city would be rare, or so I thought.  Turns out he lives in the same city as me and, if that wasn't crazy enough, he also works for the same boxing club that I train at.  He doesn't work at the particular one I'm at but still, it's pretty cool.  

So I met up with my friend, in between training and, well, more training. 

We had coffee together.

Coffee and talks about training, Korea and the Philippines.  

A couple of hours of chatting with him, a posted picture of us on Facebook and then I received a most unexpected phone from a very influential pro boxer and fellow boxing club owner in Korea.  

Possible fight in Thailand?!  Maybe.  

Snickers is trying to high tail it out of Korea as fast as he can though he doesn't seem to know which country in particular he's interested in.  I do need to get myself to Korea before I head back to Toronto, Canada though.  I was initially anticipating a fight in Korea but now I'm leaning towards Thailand or in the Philippines.  I got asked by one of the coaches at my boxing club here in the Philippines, Elorde, if I wanted to fight in an upcoming tournament but it's for amateur fighters.  

Tomorrow I'm heading out of the city to watch some live pro fights and I fully anticipate getting the itch to step into the ring.  Definitely expect it.

..perhaps I already have that itch. 

No comments: