As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, March 06, 2017

Mapping Out My Training... Monday, March 6

I still have yet to figure out how to make my shower water hot and I've yet to figure out this wifi.  So until then, I'll continue to count to ten when I shower and bank on typing out all my stuff and then throwing it online when I get a whiff of wifi.

I start up boxing in the Philippines this week so today I checked out a couple of clubs.   I've yet to set up a membership at a weight training gym too so today I visited another gym.

BOXING CLUBS VISITED:
Elorde Boxing Club
Gerry Penalosa Boxing Gym

WEIGHT TRAINING GYMS VISITED:
Fitness First
Anytime Fitness
Gold's Gym

Originally I was suppose to go to a different boxing club, one located in a different city, but I scored a sweet condo in Eastwood and all else had to change accordingly.  Today's plan was to pick an alternative boxing club to train at so I headed out to do exactly that.

First club to visit was Elorde Boxing Club.

I'm not too keen on the fact that it's a chain boxing club, that plus it's impossible-to-walk-to location are the only two downers, but as soon as I stepped foot into their club I knew I liked it.  It was located on the second floor and with no air conditioner, the windows all open, and the heat of not only the sun but those training heating up the club, I was sold.  But I had agreed to visit another boxing club so I couldn't exactly slap down a commitment just then and there.  I'll have to take an Uber here because despite it being only about 2kms away from my condo, it's located right off the highway and neither the Jeepneys nor the tricycle service can take me.  It worked out to a $2 Uber ride so it won't break the bank but then again, tight budget.  If I could walk I would.

The next club I visited was Gerry Penalosa Boxing Club.  It's about 1.2kms from my condo, super easy to get to, but it's more expensive than Elorde and beyond the super sweet coach, I didn't get a good vibe from the place.  It was missing what I felt was the real feel of boxing in the Philippines and it lacked in equipment and proper club setup.

I'm set on Elorde.

No sooner had I decided upon Elorde, while in Penalosa, but then I walked out and what should be posted on the outside wall but a flyer advertising a fight tournament coming up that features many of Elorde's fighters.

I was sold.

Next is to decide on a gym membership.

The plan is to train hard jugglin boxing, swimming, running, and weight training for the three months that I'll be here.  I sketched out a simple weekly training plan for myself as follows:

MONDAY
Boxing -- personal training session with coach
Weights -- full body

TUESDAY
Cardio -- either swimming or running
Weights -- upper body

WEDNESDAY
Boxing -- personal training session with coach
Weights -- lower body

THURSDAY
Cardio -- either swimming or running
Weights -- full body

FRIDAY
Boxing -- personal training session with coach
Weights -- upper body

SATURDAY
Boxing -- bag work by myself
Cardio -- either swimming or running
Weights -- lower body

SUNDAY
Day off training

No comments: