As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, May 29, 2017

Getting Right to Business... Monday, May 29

I'm not on vacation, a fact that I already find myself having to remind friends and my dad.

"I'm doing field research", I tell them.

My goal here is to check out several gyms to get ideas for my business in the Philippines. 

...but first let's go buy me a sweater!!!

I did a lot of errands and running around today but found myself somewhat frustrated in the evening with the fact that it's so dead here in comparison to Korea and the Philippines.  It's dead here in my home town compared to Toronto too actually.  I don't drive, well not legally and not in this country, so getting around is bad.  My dad was sweet in driving me around today but in the evening I was itching for things to do and places to go.  I wanted to check out some gyms but I had already asked my dad to drive around enough today so I thought I'd wait till tomorrow.  

Ended up going for an evening run.

Found out there's a Tim Horton's coffee shop about 3kms from my house.  Stopped there during my run to milk their wifi and upload a few things.  My dad doesn't have wifi at the house so I feel so disconnected.  He has Internet but I can't exactly upload my pictures or do my Instagram Stories.  I'm a bit of a social media junkie but considering that's how I landed a sweet sponsorship from Adidas France back in the day, I really can't complain nor do I want to stop doing it.  Social media is crazy important to what I'm about to launch in the Philippines, fans eat it up, friends feel connected because of it, and it may be what's going to help land me a future investor.  

Never underestimate the power of social media.

No comments: