As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, May 30, 2017

Kicking up the Competition... Tuesday, May 30

I'm still in Whiby, at least till tomorrow, and today I kept myself busy with working on my business stuff by doing a little "investigating".  After breakfast with my hair-pro gal pal, she took me around to check out some local gyms in the area.  Props to her for that; that helped me out a lot.  I must have grabbed every piece of info and paper that had available for me, a visiting inquirer, and then I snapped a whack of pictures too.  It's all "field research".

My goals for while I'm here in Canada:
1. Visit 5 different gyms.
2. Finish the write up for my business proposal.
3. Take my stuff out of storage.

Participated in a free class today at Orange Theory Fitness, a new training facility that specializes in HIIT group classes -- high intensity interval training.  I liked it, I'll admit that, but it was a bit too sensory overload with us all wearing heart monitors and able to see each others' heart rate and other stats on the large TV.  At one point the competitiveness in me most definitely surfaced and I fed it by trying to figure out who this particular participant, Ashley, was in our group. I had pushed myself on the weights and with pushing out extra reps in each exercise, so I was already getting competitive with the rest of our group but then we went on the treadmill for half of the class.  I was on the far end of the treadmills, the TV was in the middle, and somewhere among us there was a girl named Ashley who's score was just killing us all.  

I upped the speed on my treadmill and broke into a sprint.

The trainer had told us to get into a sprint but this was like a sprint for my life.  It was out of my comfort zone and I could see my stats on the TV flash red which meant I was in the all-out zone for training.  I most definitely was going all out and Ashely, though I still had no idea who she was beyond her name on the TV, she was my competition.

Then I spotted her; it was merely a round of elimination.  Our eyes met and I know the look on my face told her "You're going down!"  

At the end of the class we all resumed to friendly chats and giggles but I went out of my way to introduce myself to who I thought was Ashley, the girl I had pushed myself into quite the intense competition with.  I was right; the girl was Ashley.  Turns out she was one of the trainers at the gym, very cool.  It made for a great story to laugh over but an awesome competition.

No comments: