As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Preparing to Leave Eastwood

It's a weird feeling, feeling internationally homeless yet "at home" in various countries.
My Adidas gym bag has gone to many countries now and a pair of small boxing gloves that were given to me from someone special to me hang off the front of it.
I still catch myself missing Korea and saying "we have", as if I'm Korean, but I am really loving being here in the Philippines.  In a light chat with Coach Arman today during padwork, I said something to him and he laughed out "that's my Amy".  It felt good to feel a part of the Elorde.  
I won't miss Eastwood but I will miss many of the workers here who I see on a daily bases, like the condo workers who are always so friendly to me and the Starbuck workers who always greet me by first name.  
I can do without Eastwood but I'll surely miss Elorde... a lot.
The plan is to return here and train every so often. 

No comments: