As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, June 05, 2017

A Long Day to Kick Off the New Week... Monday, June 5

Attended a workout session at F45.

I felt like F45 was a better workout for me than that of Orange Theory.  Orange Theory is more for the person who wants to get their cardio and weights done in one workout.  I have boxing, that's plenty of cardio for me.  Give me the weights!!!  In the particular class I participated at Orange Theory Fitness, half of it had me on a treadmill.  I felt there was more focus and planning put towards the treadmill part of the workout and that the weight training part was rather basic and too simple.  But F45... wow.  They had paired me up with two guys and we went around doing the circuit together.  

The workout consisted of 9 stations, 40 seconds going all out on that particular exercise and then resting for 20 seconds.  You moved from station to station, following the numbers set on the floor, and then you did four sets of the circuit.  Two trainers assisted the large group of us, giving us help and encouragement.  At various stations were weights were involved, you were free to pick one that was appropriate for your skills but for the most part the exercises focused on body weight and explosive movements.  I liked it, I liked it a lot, and I felt I got a much more intense workout than that at Orange Theory and even MOVE Fitness.  

The only thing I don't like about these gyms I've been visiting remains the same -- you're forced to do classes and aren't allowed to simply come in and train on your own.  I've mentioned this before but it still boggles me.  If my membership there restricts me to only classes, then am I suppose to get another membership at another gym if I just want to hit the weights on my own or simply use the treadmill?!  Why wouldn't I just skip two memberships and get the one?  I feel like places like this are only functioning to grab the attention of new comers to fitness and those wanting to try something new but that in the end they only keep main chain places like GoodLife Fitness in business.  My suggestion to them, offer a kind of "Free Train" time slot, time when the gym is open to it's members to use as they freely please.  They've signed the consent form, it's not like they can sue them if it's a legal concern why they haven't already thought of this.  

After the intense workout at F45, I then had a long day ahead of me, half of which was spent dealing with my stuff out in storage in Etobicoke.  My dad came to the city to help me with that but it still meant I had to go out to Etobicoke, then to Whitby to help him unload it, then back to Toronto. 

Arrived back in Toronto and geared up for workout #2 for today.

Late night training at System.  

I'm staying down by the Old Distillery so it takes me any where from 40mins to 1 hour to get there.  I left at 8:30pm and didn't return till close to midnight for an hour and a half workout

No comments: