As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, June 30, 2017

Cirque du Soleil... Friday, June 30

I was whaling away on the heavy bag, doing my final rounds, when he approached me and interrupted my training.  He complimented me on my footwork during pad work and then a conversation was started.

He was a taller guy, super lean, who did Muay Thai boxing and he too was also from Canada.  I was quick to find out that he was on tour with Cirque du Soleil.  I've never actually seen a Cirque du Soleil show but have always heard rave reviews about it so I asked him about it and he noted he was only in the Philipines for two weeks with this weekend being the last show before they pack up and move on to the next country.  Next thing I knew it I was handing him my business card and waving him bye.  By the time I finished training and got back to the condo, he had texted me and told me he'd have two tickets waiting for me for tonight's show.

I was going to go see the Cirque du Soleil and I was so excited.  I was so excited I showed up 2 hours early!!!  There was no way I was going to be late for it.  

My new found Canadian friend met up with me before the show and took me into the arena where he then took me backstage to see the props and catch a glimpse of the performers and whatnot before the show.  

I felt so spoiled.

Then he took me to a section in the arena and told me to pick a seat.  I sat down and waited for the show to start and when it did, wow, it was amazing.  The surround sound, the changing set, the multitude of props, the energetic performers... EVERYTHING was so awesome.  It was a total sensory overload and I absolutely loved it.   

The athleticism of the performers -- their strength, their flexibility, their total control over their body and trust in what they were doing with hanging high in the air on those ropes and whatnot -- was just incredible.  I've never been so impressed with an athlete like I was with them.

The show was spectacular and I definitely highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it but I think the part of it all that really made the night for me was the fact that I had met someone who really tried to make a full experience for me.  He had taken me backstage before the show, sat me in wicked seats, and then he met up with me after the show to once again take me backstage.  Going backstage after the show was my favourite because I had just seen the show and now understood what I was looking at.  It was interesting to note that after the show many of the performers headed backstage to train and to rehearse lines.  I was introduced to one of the female performers.  She was just finishing her workout when my new friend introduced us to each other.  The girl was jacked!!!  We chatted for a bit, snapped a pic and then she left to wash the makeup off her face and I continued being toured around backstage. 

I absolutely loved the Cirque du Soleil and I felt like one totally spoiled gal.  Meeting a fellow Canadian fighter at the gym was very cool but him going out of his way to treat me tonight was absolutely generous and super cool.  

No comments: