As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, June 04, 2017

The Missing Piece... Sunday, June 4

I had anticipated going to church today with either my Papa Bere or The Captain.  My dad, Papa Bere, is too hyper these days about driving into the city so he was a no go.  I didn't want to play the "but-I'm-leaving-the-country-soon" card and instead I played it cool.  It wasn't cool though but it is what it is.  The Captain wasn't able to join me either.  He had football and he couldn't exactly cancel considering he had in the past.

I went to church alone.

I walked into Grant African Church and found my seat.  I sat in the exact spot that I have week after week for the past year that I've been attending.  It was as if no one sat there today because that was my seat and it felt so good to plop myself down in that big old pew, right where I always did before.

The choir sang like it did before, the congregation clapped and joined in the singing like it always did before and the pastor preached like he had done before too but it all felt different.  It wasn't different though;  I was different.  I am different.  I always had loved this church but being away from it for three months and trying to find a church in the Philippines made me realize just how wonderful it really was.  Sure the church in the Philippines may have it's massive congregation of 10,000 and it's facility may be stacked large with it's massive gym and coffee shop, but it fails in comparison to Grant.  Grant is a smaller church, there was about 80 in attendance today, but the pastors all greeted me with their smiles when I showed up, members of the church reached over to hug me during offering, others came up and talked with me after the service, and I knew I had been missed.  It felt so good to be back with them all.  I feel a part of this church.  It's a small church but it's a real one with real people and real messages.  After the service I chatted with various members and I was sure to tell each and every one that I really missed our church.  "Sometimes I watch you on Facebook live", I told some of them.  

I don't consider myself to be a religious person but I am spiritual and I do think it's important to have some kind of greater belief in your life to practice and expand upon.  That's the one thing I struggle with in Philippines -- having a church where I feel I belong and can be proud to be a part of.  I'm so proud of Grant church.  The thing I really love about Grant is that every one there is real, including the pastors.  My pastor goes to my fitness gym in Canada (System) and I think that's so great.  I love that.  I really miss our late night post training chats.  I can count on him for a motivational pick-me-upper and a solid heart-felt hug.  I miss that.  I miss Grant African Church.

No comments: