As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, July 07, 2017

One Fabulous Day... Friday, July 7

Usually Coach Bogs watches me while I do my warmup and solo work but he kills me on pad work, focusing so much on combos.  Today I trained with Coach Juan Jon and he focused a lot of defence and footwork.  He slapped me with the pads during pad work, hit me with a pool noodle during heavy bag work and then pretty much drove me to exhaustion with his conditioning exercises and ab workout after I had already been pushed to exhaustion during my boxing training.

The guy killed me... but I loved it.

I literally made a trail of sweat all the way home and then a puddle in my doorway as I fumbled with the key.

With limited time after training and definitely a limited amount of energy because of training, I then had to hurry and eat, shower and head out the door for my location viewing with my new broker.  

Off I raced.

Showed up early for my meeting and then sat down on some random steps to sit and wait.  With each person that passed I wondered if that was her, my broker.  Then a young looking lady walking beside this older man started approaching.  "Is that her?", I questioned.  I hoped so.  She fit the mould of my target market for my business like a T -- a young, energetic looking working woman.  Low and behold, this pretty little lady approaching me was my new broker.  I gave myself a little fist pump for that win.  Nice.

She took me to several locations today but I was the most curious about the first one.  Yesterday she had emailed me a document containing pictures and details about each location she had selected for me.  I had noted that the first one looked perfect... AND IT WAS!  It was bigger than I needed, cheaper than my budget allowed for, and with the high ceilings, exposed beams and it being two massive rooms with a possible separation wall I could take down, I got goosebumps.  

The gym I envisioned was finally had a physical starting point.  

I don't know if I'll get the location though; there's a lot of legalities and issues to be resolved before it's possible but I'm optimistic about it all.  It just felt so good to know this feels like what I'm suppose to be doing.  Launching my business here in the Philippines feels so right.  

One of the biggest issues surrounding this building is the fact that there's a boxing club across from it that the building owner has an agreement with, or so I was told.  I checked out that club but it lacks a boxing ring and is moreso for the intense wrestler or grappler who wants to workout.  My clientele and his clientele aren't the same nor are the services we each supplier are the same.  This is apparently a big concern for the building owner and so now I have to do a write up explaining what my business is.  I have a business proposal and a Power Point pitch presentation but I refused to send either of those.  My business proposal is 47 pages, 49 if you include the title page and index, but it requires whomever reads it to sign a confidentiality agreement and it is really only for investors.  As for my Power Point pitch, it really isn't understandable to any viewer unless I'm there to explain what each screen addresses because some screens are just a picture with subtitles, no real written explanations.  

Today was an awesome day... a very awesome day.

I had trained super hard with a new coach, met my new broker who I think is absolutely fabulous, fell in love with a possible location, and then I headed out of town, to BGC, with some super sweet friends for a beautiful dinner.  

Not bad for a Friday.  Don't get me wrong, I was running purely on the positivity of the day and coffee, but it was such a fabulous day, from start to finish.

No comments: