As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, August 05, 2017

A Grand Birthday Celebration... Saturday, August 5

I miss my friends in Canada, I miss my friends in Korea, but I've made a fabulous group of friends here in the Philippines and tonight I was blessed with ringing in my birthday with many of them.

Tonight I was treated to dinner at a very cool hidden hotspot.

Tonight I was spoiled with a couple of gifts.  

Tonight I was treated to a couple of drinks.  

Tonight I was entertained with some amazing live music.

I was taken to a very hipster kind of restaurant that was tucked away on a side street and there I indulged in probably the best Thai food I've ever eaten.  I've come to the conclusion that Thai food is my favourite and this place, despite it's lack of air conditioning, it was fabulous.  I was about an inch away from snatching up the tiniest of street cats that sat by my feet during the meal.  It was so tiny, so cute... I fell for it so I snuck it some of my meal.  

One of my friends is quite the artist.  She makes homemade jewelry and I had complimented her on a skull piece I saw.  Tonight she surprised me with a birthday gift, a beaded bracelet that had a skull bead on it.  I love it!!!

As for the live music, it was awesome.  It was hosted in a local posh hotel but I don't think a lot of people would ever expect it nor do many people even know about the bar within it and just how gorgeous it is.  The theme of the bar was the movie King Kong so to the left of the bar is a massive King Kong face and his hands.  It sounds strange to describe it here in writing but trust me when I say it was one of the most unique and coolest looking bars I've ever been to.  And the band, wow, super talented.  They had a good portion of the crowd up and dancing salsa.  The vibe of the place was pretty amazing and it made for a cool place to hang with my friends.

I had a very blessed, very beautiful and very memorable birthday and it made up for all the missed birthday celebrations of past.  Thank you to Skittles and to my beautiful friends here who really made it as such.

No comments: