As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Consider Me Overly Interested... Saturday, September 30

There were a total of nine fights on the fight card today but there were only two fights I was interested in, one in particular that I just wasn't going to miss.  

I wasn't going to miss Gretel's fight.

When I first arrived here in the Philippines I initally only came here to train and to possibly get signed for a fight.  About a month into training at Elorde out in Eastwood, I was given a fight.  The fight was set for 115lbs, my opponent picked the weight, and so I trained for it.  It was 24/7 boxing on the brain for me and that fight was the only thing I could focus on.  I pulled extra training sessions at the boxing club and at weight training, I become super strict with my clean eating, and the weight was just peeling off of me.  A month before the fight my opponent canceled the fight.

There's much speculation about why she pulled out.  When approached about it on the actual fight day, at the tournament we were suppose to fight at, she said she couldn't make weight.

I'd like to note here that I was going from 135lbs to 115lbs for the fight, had already dropped 15lbs in the first month of fight prep, and it was she who picked the fight weight.

[Enter me stopping myself to say "No comment" right here... and rolling my eyes.]

Today she was fighting for a title belt -- the vacant Philippines Bantamweight title.

It'd be her fifth fight.
It'd be against an opponent who has had 14 fights -- 1 win, 11 loses and 2 draws.
It'd be for a title belt and it'd only be six rounds.  

She won her fight, I didn't doubt she would.  Now she holds the Philippines Bantamweight title... and I'm interested in it.

No comments: