As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Feeling Very Blessed... Wednesday, September 27

Secured some media attention from Sports5 today when I met up with a friend who's a sportscaster and TV host.  Once Empowered opens up we're going to arrange to have some fitness segments filmed there and get one of the Filipino female volleyball teams in on the action.  Volleyball is huge here as is women empowerment and getting more fit so having the team come to Empowered only seemed fitting.  It was great to meet up with her today.  She's such a positive person and she's so very representative of what Empowered stands for because she's super successful but also very humble, incredibly sweet and supportive, and she's also such a sports enthusiast.  Recently she injured her knee wake boarding and I can only imagine her frustration with being quite the active athlete but having to take time off to nurse an injury.  

It's funny because when I think of the fact that I stayed in Toronto for two years and tried so hard to launch my business there and now have only been actively working on Empowered here for less than three months now, the productively and what I've accomplished here compared to there is crazy.  The people I've met, the contacts I've gained, the sources I've been linked to, and the development that I've been able to do here has been so much more.  I feel so completely blessed and at sometimes even overwhelmed with just how supported, encouraged, and well-connected I've become.  Whether it's bouncing ideas around with entrepreneurs who have successfully launched several companies or being invited to business events of others who are so connected it's like they live in this massive spiderweb of budding entrepreneurs and successful companies; it's amazing but sometimes it's a bit intimidating too.  

The struggle is real though in the Philippines, don't get me wrong, but it's been amazing to meet all these entrepreneurs who beat the struggle and succeeded.  Last night I was suppose to go to a business event hosted by a friend who has really become one of my favourite brains to pick when it comes to launching Empowered.  I regretted not being able to make it but I honestly didn't realize it started so early in the day, early morning boxing kind of messed my internal clock up and then I got totally caught up in work.  The whole day passed before I even realized it.

No comments: