As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 21, 2017

Feeling So Much Better Now... Saturday, October 21

Had some super amusing conversations with my Empowered sisters today after they found out through social media just how sick I was when I showed up to coach boot camp last week.  They had no idea, nor should they have.  I was on par with faking being okay.  

I'd like to thank the Kim family in Korea for teaching me how to fake being ok.

The funny thing is the night before, last Friday, I had just posted a message on the Empowered Facebook group page, noting that rain or shine we train.  I take a no excuse approach to my training so I take a no excuse approach to me coaching.  I wasn't going to let puking my brains out stop me though I must admit the struggle was real... really hard, really messy and really nasty.


One of my ladies noted that she thought it strange I was drinking a sports drink last week.  I usually stick to straight water or add BCAAs in my water when I coach.  Last week I showed up with a sports drink because I was so incredibly dehydrated and was lacking in electrolytes.  I was nauseous, dizzy and so very light headed.  I had absolutely no energy but I wasn't going to show it.  I had to Uber it to the park last week and that's pretty sad considering it's only a 10 minute walk but that's just how rough of shape I was in.  But I love coaching my Empowered boot camps and I knew I'd feel better, good enough to get through the boot camp, if I just fed off of their positive energy.  And that's exactly what happened.  

Last week was super rough but it made for a funny story to joke around with the ladies about.  When asked why I didn't just cancel the boot camp I responded by saying, "Because I'm the most stubborn Polack you'll ever meet in your life!"  That's so true and anyone who knows me knows just how true to the core that is.

No comments: