As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, October 07, 2017

Find What Fits You... Saturday, October 7

My could-be, would-be but aren't used excuses for not working out...

One missed workout isn't going to hurt me.
I went hard at it yesterday.
I spent a chunk of my time coaching and that's physically demanding.
I rather spend time building my business.
I have a business meeting to prepare for. 
I don't want to push it too hard and injure myself. 
I deserve a break.

Yes, I do deserve a break and yes, all of the above ARE VALID reasons for missing a workout but it's easier to keep the routine going with consistant training than it is to break the cycle and start it up again.  It's all about making a lifestyle, an active, healthy lifestyle that you can maintain and continue.

I train a lot but I also can maintain that, that's the thing.  These days sure it's a bit harder with juggling Empowered but I find that if I keep clean with my eating, get in a good, solid sweat, clock in some decent sleep time (including a nap if needs be), and then surround myself with positive people that I'm good to go.  My goals and reasoning behind my training is very different than the average person.  I'm not looking to drop weight.  I'm looking to make a stronger brand for myself and for my company.  I am my own walking advertisement.  

It's hard to encourage others to want to start to build a more active lifestyle.  I think they see how active I am and are perhaps intimidated by it or think they don't have what it takes but that's the thing, my lifestyle wouldn't fit them and that's why it's for me and not them.  They need to figure out what best suits their lifestyle, their goals, their interests, and their preferences.  I know a lady well in her 40's here who is huge into basketball and wake-boarding.  I could never do basketball as my exercise and no, not because I'm short, but because I'm not interested in it.  To me, it's not challenging like boxing is.  And as for wake-boarding, I wish I had the luxury of being able to afford to do it or lived by the water but I don't.  It doesn't fit my lifestyle but it fits hers and others have to do the same.  They have to find what fits them.

My tips for creating an active lifestyle include finding a physical activity that they enjoy, one that raises their heart rate, and one they can do for at least 30 minutes three times a week.  I don't think that's too hard to do, especially when you consider all the sports and training facilities out there... like the Empowered boot camps for one... hahaha.  Sorry, I couldn't resist adding that in.

No comments: