As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, October 02, 2017

Motivated and Intimidated... Monday, October 2

I was asked to sit down in front of a camera crew today and talk about what I thought a "refined man" was.  "Effortless" and "smooth", those were some of the other answers given by the other ladies present; I answered "classy".  A refined man is modern man with a touch of old school class.  He's a modernized gentleman.  And while the other ladies talked about their refined man driving a slick, smooth car, I peeped up and said my refined man drove something with a lot more muscle under the hood.  I like a guy who drives a truck or a jeep, something that's louder than what the old school gentleman drives because, well, my refined man is a modernized version of the old school gentleman.  

It was a bit uncomfortable having to sit in front of the camera and answer random questions by myself and then to have to answer similar questions but in a group setting.  I can't say I've ever really sat around with my gal pals talking about guys.  Can't say I've really sat around with a group of gal pals either though.  I usually talk about boxing, business and Balboa.  Talks of boxing trail off to health and fitness, and usually food too.  Business talks trace back to talks of boxing, health and fitness.  And talks about Balboa often lead to talks about Korea and my other dogs there. 

After the commercial shooting, we headed over to the actual shop location of The Refined.

The Refined, an upscale gentleman's grooming salon and spa... a lifestyle.

That's Skittles' business, The Refined, and he is quite the Refined Man.

I cheated on my answers today.  The man, his lifestyle, how he carries himself, and how others view him were all just me telling them about Skittles.

Skittles' business is going to be big; it's going to be international.  And as proud as I am of him and as amazing as it is to see what's already become of it already and how I've been there from the very start of it all, it's also super intimidating.  

His business is happening now while I feel like my business is still very much in the beginning stages.  It's ideas, hopes and plans in my head.  Now that I have a business partner it's ideas, hopes and plans shared between the two of us and things are really progressing very well but it's sometimes it's very hard to look at Skittles and see how he's totally killing it here in the Philippines with out feeling a bit envious.  I know he's fought hard to be where he is, oh I definitely know and I definitely know he's deserving of the success that's going to explode as a result of his continual struggle, struggles people have absolutely no idea about, but it's also like eating an extra piece of humble pie.  It's hard to accept and hard to digest.  Most days I'm super inspired by Skittles' struggle and success, both of it... all of it, but then there are moments, like today when I walked into his shop, and realize I have done so little in the bigger picture of things with regards to my business.  

My business is still a baby but it's my baby and I'm in love with it and with the endless potential and possibilities it can lead to.  I just really want to push it to grow up, grow bigger, and stand up for everyone to see it.  It's getting to that point that I'm still working on.  The struggle is real but Skittles has done it.  He does it every day and so can I.  

Watch me.

No comments: