As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017

The Waiting Game... Wednesday, October 18

Day One of refraining from hitting the heavy bags and hitting the weights at the boxing club and I think I may have failed.  I didn't hit the heavy bags and I didn't hit the weights but I did hit the pool.   I thought a nice leisurely swim would be nice because I'm getting rather stir crazy.  And it was nice to get out and go for a swim but my so-called "leisurely" swim turned into a 20 lap kind of swim.  

Side note, I may have gotten sick thanks to bad water and there I was in a massive pool of it, of water.  Irony 101.

With my training taking a bench, I'm able to focus more of my time and energy on Empowered but right now I feel like I'm playing the waiting game.  Am waiting to hear back from some potential investors, waiting to hear back from a sponsor, waiting to hear back from potential suppliers, waiting to hear back from the lawyers, and waiting to hear back regarding the location.  Oh, and I'm waiting to hear back when I can take the hike to the post office to get what is waiting for me there -- a package from Korea.  It's supposedly my KBC boxing license but word has it's a box and not simply an envelop like expected.  

I'm not a very patient person and this has been the ultimate test, waiting and living on Filipino "Island time".

I had to reschedule tonight's boot camp on account of ticket availability for The Sound of Music, a live performance than one of my little Filipino nieces is in, Sam.  She's quite the little actress and I wasn't going to miss it for the world.  My Empowered ladies were totally understanding so off I jumped into an Uber and headed off to the theatre.  There were about 15 of us in total that showed up specifically to support Sam.  

I've never actually seen The Sound of Music so I really had no idea on what to expect.  As far as I was concerned, it was a show about an orphanage and they sang a lot.  The show opened with the lights off and nuns walking through the isles with lit candles.  That kind of freaked me out, not going to lie.  One of the scenes with the Nazi soldiers was rather intense too.  

The production was awesome and I vouch that my girl Sam was the cutest of actresses.  She played Marta, the second youngest of the children.  I teased her after about a few parts I thought particularly cute and then our large group then headed downstairs for a meal together before heading home.  

I returned home to some answered business emails and texts but nothing that really was monumental to this waiting game.  Nonetheless, the evening out really helped to take my mind off work and the slowness at what it seems to be functioning at.  Every day I have to remind myself that this isn't Korea.  In Korea everything is done yesterday but here in the Philippines, everything is done "in awhile" and I'm still not use to it.

No comments: