As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, November 06, 2017

Full Force into a New Week... Monday, November 6

Nothing wakes me up faster than my coach texting me, telling me I'm going to spar with him today.

He texted me at 9:54am, 6 minutes before I usually arrive for training.

I had woken up late today and consequently had decided to head into training for 11am.

That gave me exactly one house and six minutes to digest and process what was about to go down.

I haven't had sparring for about 3 weeks now on account to Charlie, the amoeba I picked up here in the Philippines, the one that poked it's nasty head up and sent me running to the bathroom, puking my brains out on everything, including my hair.

Last week I really kicked my training up and went full force into it.  Part of me was kind of making up for lost time because of being sick and another part of me was simply trying to not skip a beat, continue right where I left off.  My body definitely knows when it's Friday and this week was no different except for the fact that I felt Friday on Thursday night.  I had pushed my body to such extremes with training this past week and although it was mentally very satisfying, my body was kind of hating me for having done this.  Saturday was suppose to be my day off but when what was expected to be a short run turned into a long, dragged out, "lost-in-the-city" run, that was a no go.  Yesterday I actually took the day off training.  I didn't even so much as go swimming.  I watched the live fights with the guys and then did some errands at Greenbelt and then worked on Empowered.

With my calves still burning though and that blister on my foot from Saturday's run still super sensitive, it made for a bit of a rough morning today.  Through in the fact Coach Bogs texted me, telling me he had scheduled me for sparring, and ya, nothing like jumping all in to a Monday like today.

No comments: