As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Monday, November 27, 2017

Slaying It... Monday, November 27

Nothing is quite like gathering in a more-than-you-can-see group of participants for a bootcamp.

Today was our first large scale bootcamp for Empowered and it was being held at the Philippines Women's University for their female athletes.  Coach Farah and I had traveled there together and were just as equally as excited.  I got even more excited when I reached out to some of the students in the courtyard and asked if any of them were participating.  They expressed to me that they were excited but just as nervous.  I reassured them that I wasn't there to train them to death and then, on a more serious note, I told them that if at any point they feel light headed, dizzy or need a break, that they're free to step to the side.  "No one is here to judge you", I told the small group of girls I was talking to.  "We're just here to have some fun training together."  

I was insistent on making sure we document this event.  I wanted pictures and videos.  I even knew what key pictures I wanted, what angles I wanted for them and for the videos.  The school was good in organizing to have someone capture the event but I went a step further... I brought someone.

Correction, someone showed up to help me.

Someone from Canada came for me.

After two plane rides, over 17 hours in the air and another 8-10 hours with the layover and needed time for the journey, Skittles arrived.  Two weeks ago he traveled to Canada and today he returned.  He landed in the Philippines at 11:40am, Ubered it back to the condo, showered, and then he made it with five minutes to spare before the bootcamp started at 3pm.

Skittles showing up for my bootcamp was just as awesome as the bootcamp itself; it was a fantastic tie.  So with my biggest fan by my side, my business partner on my other side, and a whole basketball court full of fun, energetic female athletes in front of me, the event started.

My timing on one of the exercise components was a bit off and I didn't really give myself a good introduction but I know the students all had fun and I really loved it.  I encouraged a little bit of competition in one part of the bootcamp and they had a lot of fun really pushing it.  I love coaching and the positive energy of the girls and their response to our bootcamp was fantastic.  I most definitely want to do this again.  

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your ex?

권투선수 에이미 [Amy] said...

Oops... my bad. I think this is the second time I've done this. Thanks for commenting!!! I went and edited it.