As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

More Condos Today... Wednesday, December 20

Condo hunting Day #2 out in BGC.

BGC stands for Bonifacio Global City.  It's a financial district in Metro Manila, about 11km south east of the center of Manila.  It's also called The Fort though and from now on, I've decided, I'm going to call it that, The Fort.  "BGC" sounds so digital; I don't like it.  

So,... condo hunting Day #2 out in The Fort.

Yes, that sounds better.

After boxing, I raced out to The Fort to check out four different possible condos.  Condos here in "the big city" are cheaper than in Makati, oddly enough.  I think it's because more people work and live here as oppose to Makati where most just work there.  Regardless, there are many options and today I saw four.  I really liked the third one I saw.  The bedroom was ridiculously big but it had a definite Cabbagetown vibe to me that made it feel so familiar and cozy.  

[Side note:  Cabbagetown was the ghetto part of Toronto I lived in before the Philippines.  It was a rough part of town where local robberies and shot-outs were more common than I'd like to admit... but it was home to me and I loved it.]

Top 4 things I'm looking for in a new condo...
1.  an in-condo laundry machine
2.  storage area for all my boxing gear
3.  cooking burners
4.  adequate size fridge

I think my top four things are kind of common sense, well at least the third and fourth one are, but you'd be surprised.  One place that I really liked was trying to convince us that it was okay to cook with no kind of ventilation above the soon-to-be burner that they'd be installing.  I don't know if she's ever cooked but when you cook over a stove, the fumes rise but if there's a cupboard above it, it's going to get messy.  This particular place also only had a bar fridge.  These days I get my meals delivered to me so I don't need a big fridge but what happens if I choose to stop this and bulk cook my meals?!  I'd have limited space to store them.  Besides the lack of ventilation and fridge space, I did like this condo though, the last one.  

My favourite was the third condo.  It had a laundry machine, a balcony, a proper kitchen when a cooking burner and large fridge, but it lacked storage for my gear.  However, it did have a big space where I could put some kind of storage unit, whether that be a large case or whatnot, it definitely had potential.  But the bedroom... awwww... it was so cozy!!!  It felt like Cabbagetown.  And the kitchen, it was really good; I loved the window above the kitchen sink.  Later in the evening I got sad news about it though. Someone saw it after me and put a reserve on it. Haste makes waste... damn.  I refused to give up though... partly because I also don't want to be homeless either... so the plan is to keep on looking but let that real estate agent know that I'm also interested.  Let's put a reserve on their reserve.  See if they take it but hope that they don't.

No comments: