As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018

A Big Momental Day... Wednesday, January 31

Big things today... big... HUGE.

MegaWorld accepted my business proposal so I went to check out their new space.
Was contacted by a Philippine boxing matchmaker who might put me an upcoming fight card.
Found out a new neighbour/friend of mine is actually an architect, so I might work with her.
Potentially taking on a social media coordinator for Empowered.

It all started with my business meeting with MegaWorld.  The meeting was at 10am, I showed up at 9:45, super eager and curious about it all.  I didn't really know what the meeting was about but crossed my fingers for good news.  Fabulous news is what I got -- they approved my proposal.  The space they're offering me for Empowered is 165sqm, that's about 1776sqft.  It's right around the corner from the two other places I'm pondering but it's a little bit bigger than them.  It too, like the last one I checked out last week, has store front exposure and the potential for patio space usage.  The next step is to bring my contractor out here, possibly on Monday or Tuesday, to give me a quote and discuss the space.  

The fabulous news from MegaWorld instantly made me dive deeper into prepping Empowered for launch.  Things are about to become real and really fast.  MegaWorld wants to turn over the space to me by March 1st, give me 75 days to construct it before opening, and then open the doors to the public.  That gives me 28 days to get all the legalities regarding my corporate papers and subscription letters for my investors to be dealt with by my corporate lawyer.  Seventy-five days from March 1st would then be May 16th for an expected opening... wow.

So there I was, head deep into work, working at home on Empowered, when I got a message from a Philippine matchmaker.  Tomorrow he has a meeting and he's going to ask about getting me on the next fight card.  Next plan of action is to contact KBC in Korea and get them to send me out my 2018 license.  It took Snickers a solid 8 months to send me out last year's license.  No comment on that... wow... only frustrations there.

The high from MegaWorld and the possible fight meant I could sit at home and work.  I had to get out of the house and burn off all this awesome energy.  Off to boxing I went.  I still have yet to train at the Elorde Fight Factory here in BGC but it's so damn expensive and I hate being the new kid at the club.  The stairs, the looks, the sizing me up and ya,... I've been prolonging it for a week now.  It's on my weekly goals this week to do but I don't know.  I'm cringing at the thought of going to yet another boxing club but I know it might be the best thing for me.  Elite is way too far and they'll never get me a fight, I know that.  They told me they don't deal with pro fighters from the start.  The Philippine Army boxing club is super close and fits my budget but it's rather hit and miss with when I'm able to get in padwork.  I either have to go early in the morning or train in the early evening if I even want there to be a coach there when I train.  The club is definitely growing on me though.  The more I train there the more I like it.  It's just boxing... no fancy "toys", no distractions, and no wanna-bes.  Girls wear clothes they're comfortable training in and guys don't care if they change tops in front of anyone and everyone.  People are just there to train hard.  They're focused on their own training and not anything else.  It's real and it's raw... simple and raw.

Later on, when I was rushing out the door to go meet up with Snickers and his parents for dinner, I ran into a new friend.  He asked about Empowered and MegaWorld and then later on, after I returned from dinner, his girlfriend messaged me.  Turns out she's an architect, nice!  I'm definitely needing someone to help me design Empowered now that the space I'm looking at is smaller than my original design and isn't loft style.  Her timing is perfect.

Am starting to dish out work to others, to get others more involved.  The company iBrandU does my ad flyers, Yummy Diet and Supreme Diet are going to be taking care of distributing my flyers, I've got my contractor and corporate lawyer, and now I'm looking for someone to handle some of the social dealings of Empowered, like the Facebook and Instagram stuff.  I try to take pictures during my coaching but it's really hard to do so when I also use my phone for the music and for the boxing timer.  Every time I go to snap a picture or Intagram boomarang, for example, it stops the boxing bell timer so I then have to be quick and jump back to start it again.  It's an added frustration and I'm not really able to capture the moments I want to share.  I've reached out one of my friends and proposed to her the role.  Now to write up some milestones and responsibilities.  On paper I'm a six person team -- my 5 incorporators and me, but on the daily I feel like a one woman team running the whole show.  I'm flying solo on this, I no longer have a partner, but really the work load hasn't changed.  If anything, it has propelled me forward more and to be more aggressive at getting things done.

The thought that in 104 days Empowered could be open, if I go with MegaWorld,... wow.  

No comments: