As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, January 06, 2018

Back to Makati for a Special Event... Saturday, January 6

I was hosting a bootcamp for Empowered in Makati, I called it the Holiday Bulge Blast Bootcamp and it was free for anyone and everyone who signed up on our Empowered Clubhouse Facebook group page.

With 14 listed as "going" and 6 listed as "maybes", I was shocked that only 5 showed up.

Discouraging?  Yes,... sure.

Disappointing? Yes,... of course.

But then the minute passed and I moved on.

I knew enough to not take it personal.  People have their reasons, life happens, things happen, but many have their excuses too.  I accept reasons, I don't buy excuses.  Excuses are for those who don't want it in the first place.

What mattered to me were those who had showed up.  Those who had clicked "going" on our event page and actually stayed true to their word, committed to being committed, and showed up.  Them showing up was their way of saying this was important to them and I really appreciated that.  Their attendance was most definitely important to me.

I met some really great ladies today one of which I was so incredibly impressed by.  The fact that she was also Polish, oh wow, fabulous... f-a-b-u-l-o-u-s!!!  She was a woman after my own heart, a fellow female who also takes a no excuse approach to her training.  Just yesterday she had been experiencing stomach pain and even went so far as to go to the hospital.  She left the hospital after midnight last night but there she was, standing in front of me on the grass, geared up and ready to do whatever exercise I was going to throw her way.  Only at a few points in the training did she stop, she was experiencing some discomfort, but it was totally understandable.  The fact that just single-digit hours prior she was in the hospital... wow.  Perhaps others think differently of her showing up at training, I don't know and I don't care.  She was the hero of my day today and I bragged about her to friends after because of her situation and the fact that she's also Polish.  Maybe the Polish in her is what brought her out to the bootcamp today.  Us Polacks are definitely a stubborn, stubborn crew of people.  Maybe she's just as hardcore as I am.  Maybe it's both.  

It was discouraging and disappointing that so many had bailed especially considering it was a free event but that's a reflection on them and not me.  It would have been nice to have a bigger crowd of women to train because it would have only added to the energy and I know they would have enjoyed it.  I had offered my services for free, I know I did a good bootcamp, and I know that the crew of ladies I had training with me today did a fabulous job.  I definitely had several proud coach moments.  Many ladies missed out on the awesomeness of today's event but hey, if they're going to so easily skip out on training even when it's free, then, well, I don't want to train them anyways.  That's the simple truth.

Today I trained ladies who wanted to train and that in itself made this an awesome event for me.

No comments: