As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, January 04, 2018

Not the Expected Move... Thursday, January

With an Uber XL jam packed with suitcases and bags, we pulled up into the parking garage of my new condo.Balboa and I jumped out of the front seat, the driver helped me unload and then he left.  It was moving day and we were ready and eager to move it. 

Then sh!+ hit the fan.

Condo security approached me. 

“You’re not allowed to come into this building”, one of told me.  “But I now live here”, I replied.  “No dogs allowed”, he added.

No dogs allowed?!  As in no dogs allowed in the place we just slapped down a few months rent and a deposit on?!  No dogs allowed in the condo where I dropped off some of my stuff yesterday?!  Was he serious?  Three security guards later, yes, he was very serious.

Turns out he was right, the condo doesn’t allow dogs.  My real estate agent had gotten it wrong and the dog she said my would-have-been new neighbor is very much a smuggled-in-on-the-daily dog.  Great.  Regardless, she should have inquired about it, if the building allowed dogs or not, because that was my make-it-or-break-it.  I would never have agreed to this apartment if I knew no dogs were allowed. 

And just like that I was homeless.  “Homeless in the Philippines”, add that as another story I can’t tell my father and add that to proof that life IS an adventure.  I was homeless for exactly 6 hours and 18 minutes while the real estate agent pretty much pooped her pants and stressed over the mistake she had made.  I sat in that parking garage for so long before I was finally able to get a key and put my stuff in the would-have-been condo for storage until I found a dog-friendly home.  Skittles and I took it to milking Tim Horton’s for free wifi so that we could check out other online condo ads and contact other real estate agents we had originally dealt with in the search for a new home. 

At 9:57am this went down and it wasn’t until after 4pm that I stepped foot into my new home.  It was one of the places I had seen that one day when we did a condo hunt and saw 7 or so condos.  It was my second picking.  Moving my stuff meant moving it from my old condo in Makati to the parking garage at that condo, from the parking garage then to the actual would-have-been condo, from that condo to a truck and then from the truck to my second picking condo.  There was a lot of moving, it was quite ridiculous.  I hadn’t eaten all day either so I was just running on anxiety.  It wasn’t until about 8:30pm, after I had moved in and fully unpacked that I had my first meal for the day. 

Am finally living in The Fort.  Today’s move was totally not the move we were planning on, it wasn’t even the condo I had planned for, but such is life.  I really wasn’t stressed about it, I was more disappointed and annoyed that I had to cancel my day of meetings and training to deal with a problem that so easily could have been avoided all together if a certain someone had asked one single question.

Does this condo allow dogs?  That one question would have changed everything, instead my real estate agent assumed the answer.

Big mistake, big... HUGE.

She’s human, I know, she makes mistakes like the rest of us, true, and I can't stay mad at her because it doesn't solve anything.  Moving forward.  Plus I have bigger things to worry about then this, seriously.  So I have to be uncomfortable for the day, at least I have the means to be able to even afford a condo.  I’m not living on the streets.  I may have been homeless for a brief moment today but I’m in the Philippines.  People speak English here and I have so many friends.  If all else fails I could have crashed at The Refined or accept one of the many offers that friends here have extended to me today when they caught wind of what had happened.  Today was really not a big deal when you look at the bigger picture.

I’m not even suppose to be living in the Philippines, that wasn’t part of the story that I had mapped out for myself back in the day.  I was suppose to return to Canada after a year in Korea, get married and then possibly move to Portugal with Poo.  I never did marry Poo, instead I stayed in Korea for 11.5yrs, I married Snickers, and then I left him and the beautiful boxing club (Hulk’s) that we made together, the very thing that gave me what I thought was my existence, my purpose.  Such is life though, you just never know what’s going to happen though you may plan as much as possible.


Today I moved into a cozy studio condo in The Fort.  Didn’t see this coming a year ago, or even a few months ago for that matter. 

No comments: