As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, February 16, 2018

An Important Day... Friday, February 16

On this day 14 years ago I first moved to Korea.  I acknowledge this day every year.

Today this day is important for other additional reasons.

Today was the funeral for a family member.  She lived an amazing life of 101 years and if that in itself doesn't impress you then what they said at her ceremony all all the amazing people she helped as a doctor would.  She put many of her grandkids through school and today they spoke about that.  They also spoke about how her favourite patients were the poor ones because they always gave heart-felt gratitude and thanks.

Today was also the death anniversary of Snickers' grandmother so I was introduced to her at her gravesite.  It was interesting to note the similarities between how he celebrated her anniversary and how Korean's typically do it.  Quite the same, minus the bowing and picking of weeds.

Today was also the first investor's meeting that I had where I was accompanied by the newest addition to my Empowered crew -- my business development partner.  I recently added her to my team to help out with some of the background work, particularly the investors.  I have a list of investors but I'm brutal when it comes to talking about money and asking them for how much they want to invest.  I've given my industrial partner a percentage of my company and in return she's the one who will be closing the deals with my investors.  She's my closer, she's a go-getter and she's super supportive of me.

No comments: