As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, April 29, 2018

Last Anticipated Day Off... Sunday, April 29

I took the day off training today.  I'm hoping it'll be my last day off because I'm holding my breath that this May 22nd fight goes through.  My May 13th was a no-go but I had already launched myself into full force hardcore mode with my training.  I don't know if you realize this or not but I joined a new boxing club and took on a new coach just because of this fight, the May 13th fight that is.  I dropped everything to relocate myself and to up my training.  I fully committed to a fight that the opposition just didn't, as I found out this past week.

I've submitted my list of potential opponents, the matchmaker picked according to their own criteria or recommendations, and now she's been proposed the fight.  Now to see and wait if she agrees.  And, because of that reason, I've continued to stay low key with posting any of my training footage on social media.  

Today I did a lot of mental and image training for my boxing, which means I spent a good chunk of the day listening to podcasts, read up on some sports psychology articles and then dissected some of my recently taped training sessions.  

In the evening I had coaching -- BoxHIIT in the Park, with Empowered -- so I headed out for that.  There was a bit of misunderstanding and confusion with me rescheduling last week's session and the event page on the Empowered Facebook group page.  I didn't do the session last week because I was nursing an injured wrist and didn't want to jeopardize it for my next day's training.  Keep in mind this was before I found out my opponent had bailed on the fight.  Tonight only 2 of my 5 signed up participants came out but it worked out really well because I was able to treat them to some one-on-one padwork.  I love padwork, most boxers love padwork, and I was pretty sure these two ladies would love it to.  Nothing like getting to beat upon the coach with some gloves and target mitts.

After coaching I ended up going to watch Avengers at the theatre.  I had lined up earlier this morning to score some tickets and they were for the 10pm showing tonight.  Unfortunately I showed up for the show a bit too exhausted.  I had been up since 6am today and the movie went till after midnight.  I ended up taking a nap halfway through it.  I'm not so into the whole superhero stuff and Avengers is a bit too far fetch for me.  I like movies that are more realistic and the fact that I wasn't the most familiar with all the characters and their background stories didn't help.  I got a free muffin out of the deal though... hahaha.  Seriously, the carbs alone could have lured me to the movies.  

No comments: