As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, May 02, 2018

All Day at the Club... Wednesday, May 2

Boxing in the morning and watching sparring in the evening, that's pretty much everything and all that could go down today because of the hour commute from here to there.  I thought I'd treat myself to a Grab car ride back to the club to watch tonight's sparring but what a mistake that was.  I text messaged Skittles around 6:30pm, "I'm about to lose my $#it in this traffic!", and then I gave the driver my cash, jumped out of the car and figured out how to get to Team Insider from there.  Rush hour traffic, nothing funny about that here in the Philippines, seriously.  I figured getting lost among the morals and streets of Poblacion was better than sitting in that traffic, hence me ditching the Grab.

Arrived with only 20 minutes left to tonight's sparring.

Tonight it was Coach Adamson, Kristian (fellow pro fighter and coach), and a UFC fighter who were sparring.  There were a lot of hard hits, brutal body shots, fast feet, and damn there was a lot of muscle too, wow.  It was pretty awesome to be sitting ringside, watching such talented fighters battle it out on a hot Wednesday evening.  It was inspiring.

Feels good to be training at Team Insider.  I miss coach Bogs and the guys at Elite but I know I wasn't growing as a fighter there.  I was training comfortably.  But the growth that I've undergone since coming to Team Insider is crazy.  In the three weeks I've been training here, my body fat has dropped about 4%, I'm picking up pointers on the daily, and all the coaches there have really taken it upon themselves to push me farther and harder.  Whether it's padwork with my Coach Adamson, core conditioning with Coach Mercelo, or watching the other coaches and boxers fight, everyone there has really motivated and helped to push me further than I've ever gone with my training.  

I did padwork the other day with Coach RP and am really curious to do conditioning training with him so that's on my go-to list.  Today I did a gruelling core workout with Coach Mercelo... yikes.

Coach Marcelo's Killer Ab Attack workout:
100 crunches
100 heel touches (left side)
100 heel touches (right side)
100 oblique twists (left side)
100 oblique twists (right side)
100 reverse crunches
100 double knee tucks
100 side oblique crunches (left side)
100 side oblique crunches (right side) 
1 min plank
1min extended arm plank
1min side plank (left side)
1min side plank (right side)

No comments: