As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, May 03, 2018

Frustrations... Thursday, May 3

Why do people have to make things so complicated?

A fighter fights.
A coach coaches.
A promoter promotes.
A matchmaker matches.
A sponsor sponsors.

I've got the equivalency of blue balls for a boxer, waiting to hear back from the matchmaker whether or not my opponent wants to fight and the sponsors want to sponsor it on the fight card.

How do you stop a determined woman? You can't.

My opponent for my May 13th fight canceled and now I'm still waiting on news to hear if my fight on May 22nd is officially on. It's incredibly nerve racking and frustrating. I've got bruised knuckles, blistered feet and sore muscles on the daily but the anticipation of a possible fight keeps me focused.

This marks my third possible fight here in the Philippines but with my two other fights canceled within weeks of the fight date, it's a struggle to stay positive that this particular opponent won't cancel like the others and that the sponsors and promotors will even make this fight possible.

I just want to fight.

Opponents cancelling fights, promotors not putting us female fighters on fight cards, bout purses that can hardly pay for our training, and fighters not wanting to even take fights does absolutely NOTHING for boxing, particularly female boxing, but how do you change that?! That is the question.

The struggle is real.

No comments: