As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, May 18, 2018

Nothing Freaks Me Out More... Friday, May 18

I'm going to tell you a story about a bug, a bug that found it's way into a particular locker at a particular boxing club.

So there it was, sitting all cozy in it's new bed, in the home that it has always lived in.  This new bed happened to be a boxing boot and it was very different than the old shoes it use to sleep it so this bug was very happy.  The boot was moist too, making for an exceptionally cozy night sleep.  Today this particular bug woke up to someone taking it's new bed out of it's home.  The nerve of them, right?!  For the next two hours this bug was trapped in it's new bed and forced to go on a rollercoaster of a time, all the while being squished.

The bug, a cockroach "the size of a small child" as it was described as being.

The boxing boot, MY boxing boot. 

And "the rollercoaster of a time", me training for two hours.

When I finally went to take my boxing boots off, I discovered this cockroach and screamed.  I threw off my shoes and ran around the boxing club disgusted and frantic.  Everyone stopped what they were doing and all eyes were on me as I then told them what had happened.

I suppose telling you this in this fashion, like a story about a little bug, makes me sound overly dramatic in my reaction and makes you kind of pity the bug but it freaked me the hell out.  

I don't like cockroaches.

I can deal with spiders and other bugs, I can even deal with rats and mice, but cockroaches... hell no!!!  They're massive in size here in the Philippines and I remember when I saw me first roach here.  I was completely shocked at the size of it.  And then I got word that they fly.  Oh wow, that just exaggerated the nastiness of them by like a million.

Today I discovered a cockroach in my boot after training for 2 hours and now every time I go box, I'm going to have to shake out my gear.  Can you imagine if there was a cockroach in my glove?!  

No comments: