As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Sunday, May 06, 2018

Where Are the Pews?!... Sunday, May 6

I've come to the conclusion that it's only when I'm at church that I get "homesick" for Toronto.  I'm quick to point out this or that at church here in the Philippines and how it's not my church back in Toronto -- Grant African Church.  It doesn't have the warmth and old school rooted vibe that Grant does.  Instead, it's super modern, rather large and the fact that they don't even have pews kind of rubs me the wrong way.  What's a church without pews?!  I don't think I've ever been a member at a church without pews.  Even Union Church in Makati had pews.

But anyways, I need to stop beating this church up, I know.  I know it but I struggle with it.  I think that's perhaps also why I've missed so many Sundays.  I went to Victory Church here in BGC today but I've been going to the one in Makati.  In the Makati service, I know the pastor and his family and friends.  Often we eat out together after church.  Here in BGC though, I'm just another body trying to stay warm in this pew-less, oversized church.  I feel lost here.

I feel lost and I miss the warmth of a hug or warm hand from those who use to sit beside me at Grant Church in Toronto.  Rev use to train at my gym, System Fitness, so every time I arrived at church he use to pick me out in the crowd and smile at me from the pulpit.  I always really enjoyed going to Grant Church and I felt the energy alone from those who went was enough for me.  If I didn't get anything out of the entire service I at least had the positive and genuine energy from those in the pews beside me rub off on me.  You couldn't leave Grant not feeling pumped about the week and full of positive vibes.  But they were REAL vibes, positive vibes.  There were nothing fake about them or the people that they came from.  

I miss Grant Church and every Sunday I am reminded that I had a place there.  Here, I'm still trying to find a seat that's comfortable.  Today I tried three and still wasn't comfortable.

No comments: