As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, June 08, 2018

The Juggle with the Struggles... Friday, June 8

Lots of background stuff went down today meant getting in my two hours at the boxing club and as gruelling as that was that was a walk in the park in comparison.  
#backgroundnoise
#thestrugglesarereal

I got the honest-to-the-core lowdown on boxing managers, boxing promotors and boxing matchmakers today in a lengthy conversation today with a boxing manager who is now taking me on.  I'm keeping his identity on the low though.  He's super busy managing quite a high ranking, internationally known Filipino fighter... no, not Pacquiao.  He's not actually taking on additional fighters but he's well aware of my situation with the cancelled fights and we share the same respectable business associates so he reached out to help me.  Much appreciation and respect to him for that.  
#blessed
#protectyourself

I now have a different matchmaker I'll be dealing with.  The boxing manager (mentioned above) reached out to him today, to discuss me, and he responded by saying that he was already fully aware of the situation.  On the positive note, the boxing community here definitely knows me, that's cool, so that's a step in the right direction.  The negative note here though is that it I'm surely being educated in the politics of boxing in the Philippines and it's kind of rough.  I'll just leave it at that... yeah.
#letsgetmeafight
#dirtybusiness

I also had my supplier in Pakistan to deal with.  Been dealing with him the past couple of months actually but this past week it's been super frustrating dealing with him.  His products are great, WHEN he gets them right, but now he's demanding all the money up front for my big order -- 30 gloves, 20 handwraps and 20 mini boxing glove key chains.  I've NEVER, EVER dealt with a supplier who has required the FULL amount prior to recieving the product so it's quite discouraging because I wasn't expecting this and I financially didn't anticipate this.  It's a huge chunk of money I'd be sending him and there's absolutely no security for me and my money once it's sent.  That's the biggest issue.  Worst case scenerio, I send him the money and he doesn't send me my products.  What am I going to do then?  Go to Pakistan to search him out?  Sounds silly, sure, but honestly what would I or could I do?!  Nothing and that's the truth.  There is no security for my company when all other suppliers I've dealt with, not only with Empowered but also with my boxing club, Hulk's Boxing, have asked for 50% up front.  That 50% up front more than covers the manufactoring costs and delivery but it also ensures they'll send the final product because they want the remaining due account.  I really don't know what to do regarding my supplier now.  I've invested too much time, effort and money already to venture into looking for another supplier and a part of me thinks he realizes this and that's why he isn't budging.  
#holypowertrip
#dontknowwhattodo

No comments: