As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Saturday, July 07, 2018

Community Building... Saturday, July 7

With today now being an unexpected day off training because of me signing up for the Vertical Run set for tomorrow, I packed up my computer and books and headed into The Refined to work on Empowered.

But first my business mentoring meeting out in McKinnley.... 10am to 1pm.

Arrived at The Refined shortly before 2pm and there I stayed till maybe 8:30/9pm.

Today's focus, designing a tank top to raise money for the Lil' Sista's Pow Class.

What was suppose to be me working on one tank top with one supplier turned into three tops and three different suppliers and 2 additional designers.  One of my ladies from Empowered was super sweet in that she reached out to me tonight to tell me that she actually designs shirts and is in the business of mass producing clothes.  Perfect!!!  I was super excited when she told me this but when she took it a step further and said she could design something for her production team on Tuesday and then drop it off at Team Insider on Wednesday, I was estatic!!! After the difficulties I've been having with a particular additional supplier in Pakistan and him struggling to understand my vision, it felt so great to have this go-getter gal pal help me out.

Just earlier this morning I was talking to one of the mentors at the KMC meeting and I had noted my frustration with taking on perhaps way too many things that I can handle with Empowered.  There's so much background stuff that goes into a business and I'm basically a one-woman team at this moment.  I ran into a very similar situation with my first company in Korea, Flipside Fitness (also a women only business).  At one point I had started a monthly newsletter for the ladies but in my excitement of it all, my one page newsletter quickly evolved into 2 pages.... 3 pages... 4 pages.  And I was doing this every month.  Finally, I decided that if this company was going to be all about building a community of strong women than I was going to open it up to them and let them take on some of the responsibility and that's exactly what I did, starting with that newsletter.  At one point I had about 10 ladies contributing.  From a cartoonist and cook to someone to run the advice column, I had a team working on it every month and it was super successful.  It took a lot of the stress off me by handing out the work to others but it also gave those involved a stronger sense of connection to each other and to the group as a whole.

Now to do the same with Empowered Clubhouse and it's starting with these shirts.

I really want to write a kind of empowered woman, I Am Empowered manifesto on the back of the shirts and I found a Girl Power manifesto, but it's another thing for me to do among the already piling high list of things to do.  So I decided to launch a contest.  Write the Empowered Woman manifesto for our shirts and I'll showcase you and gladly give you a shirt with your beautiful masterpiece on it. 

Contest was launched tonight and it ends next Sunday.

No comments: