As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Thursday, August 16, 2018

Lil' Sista Project Meeting... Thursday, August 16

As I approached Holy Family Home, the residence of my Lil' Sistas, a group of girls behind me recognised me and came running at me.  And, with arms wide open and screaming my name, they all hugged me.  They were the Lil' Sistas!!!  It was such a grand welcome and I honestly couldn't have had a better one.  Instantly my heart swelled bigger than my chest walls.  I was so happy.

I had a meeting today with one of the Sisters, to discuss my plans and to tell her all the fabulous news about the Lil' Sista Project.  She was quite impressed with how I had this idea and have really ran with it.  I really have sprinted far with it, it's kind of crazy.  I now have two companies that have sponsored the Lil' Sista Project and another company that's looking to make a large financial donation.  It's a bit overwhelming, just how much support I've been getting but it's super awesome how others really want to help.  I really need to sell those Lil' Sista Hoodies and the Empowered Caps though.  They won't actually be produced until the pre-orders have been made, but on August 24th I'll be sending the number off to my manufacturer and I need there to be at least 26 items sold.  One hoodie or one cap sold buys one pair of gloves for the girls.  Right now there are 23 girls but Holy Family Home takes in up to 26 girls.  My goal is to get them all gloves.  Selling the hoodies and caps will get me these gloves.

I can't think right now of what will happen if I don't sell enough hoodies or caps.

If push comes to shove, I'll buy them myself.  They need them more than I need my money.

Sharing all my ideas and stories with Sister W, she then told me some more stories of the girls residing at Holy Family Home.  There's a little girl there that just recently they rescued from her family who was keeping her from returning and making her beg on the street.  She was told she had to make 150Phps a night and was beaten when she didn't make that.  I don't know if you know what 150Phps is but that's equivalent to less that $4CDN.  Four dollars, not even, that's how much she gets beaten by her mom if she doesn't make that money begging.  That's the story many of these girls have, similar ones that'd break your heart and want you to hug every single one of them.  

I have to applaud Sister W.  She's this adorable little cutie with such a big heart.  I think to be doing the job and taking on the responsibility that she and the other Sisters here have, you have to really have a big heart, one that's resilient to heartbreak and has a huge passion for helping others.

No comments: