As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Friday, November 09, 2018

A Fabulous Filipino Friday

I try not to post pictures of the Philippines that many who have never been here often think of because I don't want to feed their misconception of the very country that I've come to love.  There are such places here though, places were it's super rough and I see them on the daily.  Like this place.  I don't know if you can see but if you look at the right corner, there's a family amongst this trash, sitting at a table, eating lunch.
 There is poverty here but there's also a lot of happy people and a lot of life.
I for one am a huge fan of the street sellers and the jeepneys.  I like the little community I walk through to go to boxing and today I went a different route and saw a different community.
Finally arrived at boxing and was greeted by Coach Marcelo stepping into the ring for sparring. 
I've seen Coach Marcelo spar before but I'm never there when he's hitting the bag.  
Today I watched him spar, do padwork, and then hit the bag.... wow, impressive!!! 
AND THEN... he trained me and made me do abs with him.  100 ab roll-outs, woozers!!!
Proud of this guy.  Proud to call him my coach.  He's a beast!

No comments: