As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

I'm "That Girl"... Tuesday, November 13

I'm always "that girl" and by "that girl" I mean that girl that's loud and says what she thinks.  She says what she means and means what she says.  If I don't like something, I say it.  But lately I've been less of "that girl" and I think it has to do with just how small of a community it seems to be here in the Philippines.  If you rub someone the wrong way, most likely word will spread like wildfire and you will have ultimately rubbed someone else that you both know the wrong way too.  

It's not six degrees of separation here, it's more like 2 or 3, and when you're a new startup business, you don't need to kills these connections.  You need to walk on eggshells sometimes because it's not just you that you have to worry about but also your business and your brand.

Today a situation happened in the boxing club involving myself, them and everyone in between -- everyone else at the club training at that particular time.  I don't even think this person was aware of it either so I don't know if I can honestly get mad at them.  I think they're perhaps unaware because either they don't care or they're just ignorant and you can't get mad at someone for ignorance.  Ignorance is not knowing, stupid is knowing but not doing anything about it and rude is knowing but not caring to do anything about it.  

Anyways, so everyone training at the club was quite inconvienced.  I had to get Coach Marcelo to move the stationary bike to the side so I could use it to warm up and no one else could use the ring for the next hour and a bit.  This particular boxer did pretty much most of their training in the ring, including skipping.

It is what it is though.  I'm at fault for not saying anything.  I didn't want to be "that girl" though, like I mentioned above.  But that's the thing, I used to always be that girl and lately I even had to remind myself to continue to be that girl.  I'm so over trying to make an uncomfortable situation comfortable by walking on eggshells while the person who created the situation continues on about their way.  Why is it me that needs to be uncomfortable when I'm not the one at fault?!  Exactly.  I should just grow some balls and call it how it is, call people out on their BS and let them be the uncomfortable one.

Today was definitely one of those situations.

No comments: