As the story has it, one day I headed to the opposite side of the globe – the Flipside. I arrived in Korea February 16th, 2005 and thought I’d do a year, then leave. I was wrong. I stayed, launched my first company, Flipside Fitness, and then opened Korea's largest boxing club, Hulk's Boxing (now called Hulk's Club).

After 11.5yrs in Korea, I then picked up one day and returned to Toronto, Canada. But then I left again.

Now I live in the Philippines where I am the CEO and head coach of Empowered Clubhouse, the Philippines' first and only boxing clubhouse exclusively just for women. I also am the founder of the Lil' Sistas Project, CEO and designer of Slay Gear and Baa Baa Black Sheep .Ph.

Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Today's Harsh Lesson... Wednesday, February 20

You can't help someone who doesn't want to help themselves.

I offered someone a job just recently, two jobs actually.  It's a personal training boxing coach job.  My company is for women only, by women only, but some of my female clients have approached me about the men in their life -- husband, son, neighbour, etc.  They want me to train them but I don't train men so they've asked if I had a male boxing coach I'd recommend.

I won't say who I recommended but I'm sure many of you can guess.

He said he's not interested.

Despite the fact that it'd mean him coaching only 2 clients twice a week, he would be making more money than he's currently making working 8-9 hours a day, 7 days a week.  But he's not interested?!  I honestly don't understand.  I approached him about it on Monday and then when he said he wasn't interested, I told him to hold off, just think about it more, and then let me know his final answer today.

He's still not interested. 

It doesn't conflict with his current work schedule or go against any kind of work-related contract he might have or whatnot.

Nothing about this makes sense but everything about his answer makes me confused and incredibly disappointed.  To want to help someone that has the potential to really go with this and make a living that he's deserving, a living that will support the two other people depending on his pay check (his girlfriend and baby on the way), a living that his amazing set of skills and talent is much more achievable than he even knows it... it's hard to accept his lack of interest, his answer.

No comments: